Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Happy Ground Hog Day!!

I hope you had a wonderful Ground Hog Day! The official word is that the legendary Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow so we have six more weeks of winter. Or, as the locals around here say, it's a win-win situation for everyone in the frozen tundra area, if, at worst case scenario, all we had was six more weeks of this cold weather :-) If you go online and check for related stories, you might get lucky and catch a photo of poor Phil. As one sharp reporter mentioned, Phil appeared to be a rather nervous wreck when yanked from his burrow (he did not rise on his own) and there was no evidence that he paid the slightest attention to his shadow. Ah, the silly things we "believe"...

And speaking of that, I was surprised to find out that my new hair dresser had never heard of how the phases of the moon can affect how fast or slow your hair grows after a haircut. Please tell me you have heard about it too! And before you go saying that this is just silly astrological mambo-jumbo, think how the phases of the moon affect the tides (high and low) which is scientifically proved to relate to the earth's gravitational pull. If it can affect the tides, it's very possible it works for hair too. It seems to be right on the money for me. You can look it up for more detail (or talk to your hairdresser) but basically the belief is that, for faster growing hair, it's better to cut it around the time of the New Moon Phase. And, for thicker and fuller hair, it needs to be cut during the Full Moon Phase. Dare you to try it and let me know how it worked for you!

Now, if you want to talk silly, I'm really ashamed to confess that it took me 22 years (that's how old I was when I figured this out) to realize that eating cake right after you get it out of the oven will NOT give you a tummy ache. That's just what some mothers say (Marylou, are your ears burning??) to keep the kids from eating the cake before company gets there! And, ants in the sugar bowl will NOT improve your eye sight if you happen to ingest them - that's just what some mothers say so they don't have to remove each ant out every time you reach for the sugar bowl(somebody send the fire department to my mom's house NOW!!).

I'd love to hear what other beliefs each of us carry out there and why you do or do not believe in them. Let me hear from you!

2 comments:

she said...

I used to think you would just simply drown if you went into the water within 30 minutes after eating. I think the moms just wanted a break :) I think there's been proof now that whether or not you've just eaten is not related to cramps or drowning!

Mary Beth said...

The water does not turn purple at the pool if you pee in it.