Monday, August 25, 2008

Seems I'm not the only city creature around here...

Well, you already know I'm a city girl (I come from a small town of 700,000 people). Beatrice, our GPS also does a lot better within city bounds, but I got to say, she's trying to adapt. She has recently found me three local Methodist churches, a Bed Bath & Beyond, a Barnes & Noble, and a Michaels (although this last one was two doors down from BBB so I don't know if that really counts, but I'm trying to be forgiving). She's trying really hard to put the supermarket hour long trip behind her. And, in all honesty, much to my surprise, she led us straight to the kids' new school without an incident, while Dad was very miffed to miss the "Meet & Greet" today because Mapquest couldn't find it!! I was shocked!

Anyway, it seems that our cat Truman, has had as much of peace and tranquility as he can stand! Lately he has taken to making a funny noise as he walks around or lays about the place. It's not really meowing, but more like a mumbling of some sort that I could swear translates to something like "I'm bored out of my mind!!!!!" Not that I blame him. We are, at the moment, the second to last house on this rural road. My friend's cat, Princess, who has been banished to the great outdoors before we even got here, is not friendly towards him at all and always hisses at him whenever he tries to come near her. Could it be she's miffed that while she's freezing (well, not quite yet) her patoutie outside, he's enjoying the comforts of what used to be her home?? Geez, some creatures can be so sensitive!! Well, in just a little more than a month we'll be moving to our new place, which is in a neighborhood surrounded by other houses, so I'm hoping the poor fellow will have a chance to make lots of friends like he did around our old house.

As I said earlier, we had the "Meet & Greet" at the kids' new school today. Madison actually got the "boy teacher" that Dorian was hoping for. But because of the boy/girl ratio in that class, the principal asked me if it would be OK to have Dorian in with another teacher. I was perfectly fine with it, and after meeting them both today, I think Dorian may have gotten the better part of the deal. His teacher came across very nurturing, offered lots of information and went out of her way to let him know that there are two other boys in the class who are new and don't know anybody else, so he'll fit right in. Not that Madison's teacher was bad, he was just a... man. You know, no new information packet and a "yeah, come in Tuesday and we should have a desk for her"... didn't exactly make me feel all nice and cozy. But according to Dorian's teacher, he's the Math teacher for the Advanced Math kids, so apparently the man is smart. Let's hope we get to know him better over the next few weeks. I'm also looking forward to being able to volunteer at the kids' school as I did before because I know that will be a great way to get to know other parents as well as teachers.

2 comments:

she said...

Yeah my cat makes that weird noise sometimes too. Sounds like a kid. She does it at night and it's like "Why did everyone go to bed and leave me here all alone??"

Me said...

Poor little Truman, he is looking for all his friends. Speaking of his friends, I saw Jake the other day, haven't seen Rosevelt since you left and we need to drop off some goodies to Spidy and Andrew!

Sounds like both kids will have a great time at school. I am sure they will do just fine.