Thursday, September 4, 2008

My first DD

OK, settle down - no, I have not broken up with my BFF, Victoria, and decided to visit a plastic surgeon to see what could be done to enhance my upper peninsula :-) Rest assured Ms. Secret and her padding business shall not go out of business on my account. The DD stands for Demolition Derby!!

That's right, city girl went to the local county fair over Labor Day weekend, because DH decided to get the kids all excited about going to watch a Demolition Derby. Yes, I was thinking "Serenity now" the entire time, but you know, by the end of the day, it was actually kind of fun, and I was even picking favorite cars! But I have to admit that I'm really not the fair type. I guess I went to one too many State Fair of Texas in the past, that I really see no point in walking around in the heat of summer, eating bad food, having to play those lame games to win cheap stuffed animals (cause the kids now know every fair has a Midway!), and, of course, spending a small fortune in the process.

The Demolition Derby part was actually fun! It must be some kind of passion that possesses those drivers into spending their own money and time fixing up these cars and keep on coming back just to have the thrill of smashing it to smithereens into whoever is closest to them. OK, maybe some of them even seemed to have some kind of strategy as to how to be the last one standing (or should I say running) by the end of each round, but it just seems to me that scream therapy might have the same effect at a lesser cost... Then again, it did look like a lot more fun than just screaming... But let me clarify, I'm not dating myself here with the screaming therapy remark - I just read about it in Barry Manilow's biography a while back. Apparently that was a big fad in the 70's (who knew?!). It seems to have helped Barry, though. Good for him!

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I wish my friend Victoria and her Secret were here in China. If I need more of her special goods, I am out of luck until I can come to the U.S. They don't make them in my size in China, I am like a mutant here or something - if you are bigger than a C, you are out of business! Cute posting!

she said...

I think it's like when you're 2 and you build that big tower of blocks just to knock it down!