Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Song of deliverance

Hi, everyone! It's been a while, I know. Getting all set up in a new home may take just a week for some of you, but I like to pace myself - I'm a big believer in spreading the joy :-) We just had our first visitors last weekend which forced us to pick up the pace (basement carpet has been cleaned and stretched and upstairs carpet shall be installed by the end of the week). DH's brother and sister-in-law came to see us and were also a big help in getting some other little projects accomplished around here, so things are looking up! We even managed to get an antenna in the attic so Craig Ferguson from the Late Late Night Show (after Letterman) is once again back in my life... Ah, the simple pleasures!


But all this also means less time for mamacita here to spend browsing the internet and killing an hour or two writing some fun stories. Well, a while back a friend asked me (after reading my blog) if I was a writer by trade. While flattered, I quickly rushed to say no, but in the back of my mind, a little voice was saying "What about that compilation book on twin stories?" The thing is, as a member of the twins club in my area, a writer got in touch with the club asking for several short stories on life with twins. She got responses from all over the country and picked some she deemed appropriate for the book. I submitted two stories and they both made it into the book. The other thing that came to my mind was that (don't laugh now), as the twins club Chaplain for the last two years (I told you not to laugh!!) I had the opportunity to write articles for the club newsletter.


So, what follows right now is one of my Chaplain articles. It seemed to have connected with a lot of people based on the response I got. Twins or singletons, motherhood takes a lot out of you, but eventually it gives it all back tenfold! The purpose of these articles were mainly to encourage everyone to just hang in there. Hope you enjoy it!!

...................................................................................................

"YOU ARE MY HIDING PLACE; YOU WILL PROTECT ME FROM TROUBLE AND SURROUND ME WITH SONGS OF DELIVERANCE" ~~ Psalm 32:7


We’ve all experienced that moment: you hear a song on the radio, or at the mall, or at a doctor’s office, and all of a sudden, you’re transported to a specific time of your life. Like "the" song they played at your high school prom or the song to which you fell in love with your husband.
Sometimes, it’s not so much an exact moment of your life, but rather, a phase. Stop and think: what song brings you back to your first stumbling days, months or years of motherhood? For me, if I were to be absolutely honest with you, that song would be "Unwell" by Matchbox 20. The chorus goes something like this:


"I’m not crazy I’m just a little unwell
I know that right now you can’t tell
But stay awhile and maybe then you’ll see
A different side of me"


Oh, boy, it only takes a few days of no sleep and bad eating habits to make you feel very unwell. Many a days I found that being my theme song and wondering where this different side of me came from.


But you know what? There’s hope! The days go by and turn into months and years in which your kids get older and you learn to cope. Sometimes because God placed angels in your path disguised as wonderful spouses, relatives, friends or neighbors. Sometimes, you had to learn to cope on your own. Whatever the case may be, one thing is for sure: there’s just no one song that will define your entire life. The top 20 hits on the radio change daily. So will the songs that mark important stages of your life.


I know that’s definitely been the case with me. I’ve had a different theme song for the last few years now, to which I even play air guitar and throw my long curly hair around (much to the delight of my son and embarrassment of my daughter – go figure?!) whenever I happen to hear it on the radio. It’s "Better Now" by Collective Soul. Here’s a little bit of it:



"Yeah, yeah, oh I’m newly calibrated
Yeah, yeah, all shiny and clean
Yeah, yeah, I’m your recent adaptation
Yeah, yeah, time to redefine me
Let the word out. I’ve got to get out
Oh, I’m feeling better now
Break the news out, I’ve got to get out
Oh, I’m feeling better now"


What is your song of deliverance? Here’s hoping and praying you get out there and get a good one!

2 comments:

she said...

O I love it! And you know me, with the songs in my head, I was totally singing along with you. I can't say that I have one associated with motherhood exactly. There was a time in my life when Matchbox Twenty's "Long Day" was so real to me. And, now, when we're always run late to get out the door, my kids keep hearing "we only got 4 minutes to save the world..." :)

Mary Beth said...

This is a great article! Thanks for sharing it! I will have to think about my song of deliverance. I am sure it just depends on the day.