Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Parent test

Well, this ought to be interesting. DH started this new job right, and in the midst of all the health assessment papers, there was this optional parent/child relationship assessment questionnaire. He brought it home, so we gave both our kids a copy so they could rate us individually as parents.

I was surprised how eager and easily the kids took the assignment on. They were very happy to take their time rating us and then discussing the reasons for their answers and how we could improve (bet you'd love to have been a fly on the wall for that conversation, huh?!) Anyway, surprisingly - to me anyway - my boy was harsher in his assessment of me as a parent than my little girl (the only single "E" I got was from him - the nerve!). However, I ended up getting an overall "B" from both of them. Daddy (who I'd have sworn would always get an "A") ended with a B+ I think. I guess that shows that for little people, they have great expectations of us... just you wait till they become parents someday! I'm saving this piece of paper to show them!

Thought I'd share this particular joy with you. Your mission, should you accept it, is to print the 12 questions, give it to each of your children, have them rate you, then be prepared to sit down with them and discuss the reason for each grade. This is where you get to ask them questions on how you can improve or do better in certain areas from then on. Brace yourself!

MY PARENT: _____________ (insert name)

1. Understands me A B C D E
2. Lets me act my age A B C D E
3. Listens to my problems A B C D E
4. Spends time with me alone A B C D E
5. Treats me with respect A B C D E
6. Is nice to my friends A B C D E
7. Helps me with homework A B C D E
8. Tells me he/she loves me A B C D E
9. Answers my questions A B C D E
10. Allows me to make decisions A B C D E
11. Pays full attention to me when I speak A B C D E
12. Helps me feel good about myself A B C D E

Have fun!

5 comments:

she said...

oooh, I'm scared of this. I'll wait til we have a good day. Not a day like today where we spent 2 hours fighting over a spelling test.

Mary Beth said...

I think I am going to try it!

Susu said...

I'm going to try it but I don't think I'll do very well--I'll let you know. I think this is a very good thing and thank you for posting it!!

Susu said...

Hi Acsa, Qusetion: is there a special way of scoring the test--certain points for an A, B, C etc.?
Thanks!!

Acsa said...

Susu: as far as rating the test, the only thing I had was this link www.Aurora.org/EAP/Access but when I tried it, it says the page is no longer available. In our family, my kids actually just counted what column (A, B, C,D or E) had the most marks and that was our grade, with a + or - added to it after we discussed our findings :-)