Thursday, December 4, 2008

Who invented glitter?

Well, it may be obvious to you (right?!) but I finally realized today that although the credit for coming up with glitter, as we all know it, goes to an American cattle farmer named Ruschman during the 1930s, the credit really should go to God.

This week, as I was driving the kids to school, we looked at all the fields that are now blanketed with snow as white as white can be (have I mentioned that by now we've had two snow storms that brought around 6" of snow each time?). When the sun hits it, it's amazing how beautiful it shines! Seeing that, I told my kids: "Look how beautiful the snow sparkles with the sun!", to each my daughter says: "It's like someone dropped glitter all over it!" And that's when I had this amazing epiphany that God is the one who invented glitter in the first place. OK, like I'm fond of saying: "I am a genius! A slow genius, but a genius nonetheless." Yeah, I know that basically God really invented everything, but you know how we, humans, tend to get sidetracked by patents and all.

And then, when you look a little closer at how glitter is actually made, I can't help but think that old man Ruschman must have had a little divine inspiration to come up with it. While some may assume that glitter is produced by simply crushing the source material (very tiny flecks of glass, stone, paper, plastic or polyester), that is simply not the case. Commercial glitter manufacturers use various dies to cut out individual pieces in bulk. Even though pieces of glitter can be as small as 50 microns in size (and again, let me remind you that I belong to the SLOW variety of geniuses, so I had to go look up what 50 microns would actually be in my world, and that turns out to be 0.002 inches), each piece has been precision-cut in the shape of squares, circles, rectangles or hexagons.

Which led me to my next epiphany (this has been a prolific week for epiphanies around here!): we have all been precision-cut into the beings that we are today, by none other than God... while we were still in our mother's wombs. I find that amazing!

Didn't mean to get all preachy on you. Just wanted to share. Maybe there's hope for me yet!

Now don't go saying you didn't learn something new today (I'm assuming that, like me, you never heard of Ruschman before).

Have a wonderful day!

5 comments:

steph said...

Not preachy...a beautiful revelation! I miss seeing you around FUMC.
I also miss the snow (being a Yankee and all), but not in the amount that you guys have it up there!

Mary Beth said...

This is a wonderful posting and amazing that yes, God has his hand in something even like glitter! We are going back to Texas for Christmas - I will miss not seeing you around FUMC, too.

beach momma said...

Beautiful revelation. Enjoy winter.

Susu said...

Hi Acsa, not preachy! I just read it again because glitter is being mentioned a lot in my life right now! I keep thinking of you in all that snow! Hope you are dong well learning how to drive in snow--although they probably are really good about clearing it from the roads! Don't get buried in the snowdrifts!

she said...

Beautiful! I love the pics of your backyard - what a difference. I miss you too! I thought about you this morning when I heard that Paul Simon song...can't think of the name of it now...